Monday, November 10, 2008

Love and Marriage

My boys have marriage on their minds. Nolan announced during dinner last night that he was going to ask his girlfriend, Evah-luv, if she wanted to get married. His "girlfriend" is also 3 and is in Nolan's preschool class. Nolan is in LOVE with her. He talks about her constantly, he thinks about her, and he can't wait to see her when he gets to school. I have never had a child this enamored at this age with a friend of the opposite sex, so I find it mostly amusing and just a little worrisome.

Carson told us that he has to get married by the time he is 23 because if he waits any later, "all the good choices will be gone." Now, I don't know what a "good choice" consists of in the mind of an 8-year old boy, but I'm guessing it has something to do with how much time his wife will spend playing Wii or watching sporting events.

On the heels of all this marriage talk and following the recent Red Ribbon Week, this is the rest of the conversation that occurred last night:

Carson: What happens if you marry someone who does drugs?
Laiken: (rolling her eyes) Why would you do that?
Me: That's what we mean when we talk about making good choices. It would definitely be a better choice not to marry someone who does drugs.
Carson: Well, what if she started doing drugs after you get married? I would be OUT of there if that happened.
Me: Well, God would want you to at least try to help your wife get better if you could.
Laiken: Yeah, because you are only supposed to get married once.
Carson: Well, I would give her 2 weeks and then I would be gone.

Note to Carson's future wife: God may love you unconditionally, but apparently Carson won't.

2 comments:

Christy Z said...

That is so funny! Isn't it funny (and sometimes a little scary) what kids talk about and know at such a young age?

Steph said...

Oh my, I am cracking up! Too funny!! So great that you have this blog to show him (and his wife) someday! LOL!! GREAT!